Lutheran Laymen's League
The Lutheran Laymen’s League of New Zealand, popularly called the ‘LLL’, is an auxiliary of the Lutheran Church of New Zealand. The LLL was formed over 50 years ago to give people the opportunity to lend their savings to the Church.
How the LLL works
- You receive interest on the money you deposit with the LLL. The LLL then lends the money, at nominal interest, to Lutheran congregations in New Zealand for Church approved projects.
- Loans are made to congregations for church buildings and manses.
- Loans are made to Pastors and church workers to help them purchase cars.
- Grants from Project James, the Hetty Guddop and Lillian Schwartz Funds, are made to a wide variety of mission and ministry projects within the Lutheran Church of New Zealand.
- The following people are eligible to become LLL depositors:
- members of the congregations and preaching places affiliated with LCNZ.
- students and families of students enrolled in any educational institution affiliated with or sponsored by the LCNZ.
- persons, unincorporated bodies and incorporated bodies that are sympathetic to and supportive of the objectives of the LCNZ.
- All LLL accounts are on call; you can withdraw your money at any time.
- You can choose the rate of interest you want to earn on your savings : 4%, 3% or interest free.
- If you accept a lower rate of interest the LLL will have more funds to help with the Lord’s work.
- Interest is calculated daily and paid into your account at the end of December each year.
You can contribute to the LLL’s permanent funds by:
- Making a donation to the LLL.
- Leaving money or property to the LLL in your will.
Permanent funds are “always lent, never spent”. The funds are invested by the LLL and only the income earned used for Church approved projects.
Applying for a LLL Account
To apply for an account fill out the relevant following application form which includes the account rules. Please ensure you have read and abide by the rules for using an E-Account; they are in place to protect each account holder. If you are under 16 years of age you will also need to provide signed parental permission.
- LLL E-Account individual Application Form
- LLL E-Account Parish Application Form
- LLL Under 16 Parental Permission Form
Download, print and fill in the appropriate form(s) and return by post to:
P.O. Box 82
Operating your LLL Account
You can operate your LLL account:
- through your local LLL Branch treasurer.
- through the National LLL treasurer M. Gust, 8 Hunia Street, Marton 4710.
- electronically with your E-Account via email@example.com.
LLL Funding Examples
Here is a recent sample of the range of funding to support the mission and ministry of the Lutheran Church of New Zealand :
Reformation 500 – LCNZ organised, NZ Lutheran Youth Camp, Training seminars – for Sunday School teachers, local treasurers, Outreach via a Street Party, subsidising children and young people to attend a church family camp, funding a retreat for Pastor’s wives.
It is only through the support of depositors that the LLL can continue to make these grants. Our Lord asks us to support each other financially. The LLL provides a means of doing that. He wants us to use the blessings he has given us for the good of the wider body.
As Paul says in 2 Corinthians 8:13-14 : ‘Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time, your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. The goal is equality.”